Some contracts are so specialized that it is difficult to find a DVBE to fill the required participation goal. For these special circumstances the state has created a method whereby bidders go through a series of steps, all of which are designed to help the bidder locate a DVBE. If the bidder does not locate a DVBE after performing these steps, documentation of these steps serves to demonstrate to the awarding agency that a credible effort was made.
The "Good Faith Effort" consists of five steps, outlined by state statute (Public Contract Code). Each step is intended to help bidders identify qualified DVBEs and attain DVBE participation.
These are the 5 steps that must be completed
1. Contact was made with the awarding department to identify DVBEs.
2. Contact was made with other state and federal agencies, and with local DVBE organizations to identify DVBEs.
3. Advertising was published in trade papers and papers focusing on DVBEs.
4. Invitations to bid were submitted to potential DVBE contractors.
5. Available DVBEs were considered